Ransomware attacks are making headlines more and more. Ransomware will attack a business every 14 seconds by the end of 2019. Ransomware is popular with cybercriminals because it works! It is now a billion-dollar industry and growing.
1) By clicking on a legitimate looking attachment or URL within an email OR
2) A website is seeded with a malicious code.
Once the infection hits the system, the malware begins encrypting all data that resides on the computer including data within the network. The victim no longer can access their files and receives computer messages demanding the ransom in exchange for the decryption key. It’s important to note, authorities do not recommend a victim paying the ransom.
One may never be able to be completely protected against an attack; however, listed below are some key steps to help prevent and prepare:
– Implement a training program for office staff on the threat of ransomware and how a system can become infected.
– Firewalls, antivirus, anti malware and anti-exploit security programs should always stay up-to- date and schedule scans to be automatic.
– Always upgrade operating system, software and firmware to the latest version
– Perform daily secure backups of critical data locally and off-site to a reputable cloud backup provider.
For a detailed list of steps to help prevent and handle an attack, review Ransomware by the RCMP http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/ransomware-rancongiciels-eng.htm and How to Protect Yourself from Ransomware by the FBI https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ccips/file/872771/download. Cloud backup is crucial in fighting ransomware. Practice Perfect has partnered with DataHEALTH, the leading provider of cloud backup to the healthcare industry. DataHEALTH is PIPEDA compliant plus the only cloud backup provider to be both URAC HIPAA Security Business Associate and National Institute of Standards and Technology FIPS 140-2 encryption certified. Take advantage of the 30-day free trial along with waiving the annual licensing fee for first year. Pricing starts at $9.95 USD. Contact DataHEALTH TODAY at 888-656-3282 ext. 280 or visit http://www.datahealth.com/practice-perfect-emr. Offer expires Friday, June 28, 2019.